Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Saturday, January 25, 2014

COCKTAIL DU JOUR

Bijou Cocktail
The Bijou Cocktail... a real gem.

Today’s tipple is a veritable jewel: the aptly named Bijou Cocktail.

I like a gin-based cocktail, and I have found that gin pairs very well with green Chartreuse, the powerful herbal liqueur created by Carthusian monks in the early eighteenth century. (Last Word, anyone?) So when this bad boy caught my eye on the Serious Eats site a few weeks ago, I added it to my drinky To Do list.

1 ounce London dry gin
1 ounce sweet vermouth
1 ounce green Chartreuse
1 dash orange bitters

An alternative version, in case the alcoholic punch and herbaceous pong of the Chartreuse are too much for you, is this:

1½ ounces London dry gin
½ ounce sweet vermouth
½ ounce green Chartreuse
1 dash orange bitters

It is a real gem, this drink, with the rich color of topaz. And the taste? Wow, just wow. May I suggest you try one at the earliest opportunity.

No comments: